Michael J. Dutton, a Shareholder and Director of Wallace Saunders, has been with the Firm since 1984. Mr. Dutton has tried over 75 jury trials in state and federal courts with his practice focusing on all types of civil litigation, including automobile, premises liability, products liability, professional liability, employment law, employment discrimination, construction law, insurance coverage, and insurance coverage litigation. He has participated in hundreds of mediations, arbitrations, and bench trials.
- Birthplace: Hutchinson, Kansas
- Juris Doctor, Washburn University School of Law, 1979
- Bachelor of Science, Journalism, The University of Kansas, 1974
- Kansas College of Advocacy, Trial Tactics and Techniques Institute, Washburn School of Law, 1985
- Wallace, Saunders, Austin, Brown & Enochs, Chartered
- Attorney, 1984 - Present
- Member, Litigation Practice Group
- Kansas Insurance Department, Attorney, 1979 - 1984
- Assistant Attorney General, State of Kansas, 1979 - 1984
- Kansas Healthcare Stabilization Fund (Medical Malpractice Fund), Managing Attorney, 1982 - 1984
- Adjunct Professor, Washburn University, Legal Research and Writing, 1980 - 1981
- Kansas Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Kansas Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
PROFESSIONAL LICENSURE AND EXPERIENCE
- Licensed to practice in Kansas and Missouri; admitted to practice in the trial and appellate courts of Kansas and Missouri, the U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas, and the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri; and the U.S. Court of Appeals.
- His practice involves all types of civil litigation, including automobile, uninsured motorists, premises liability, products liability, professional liability, employment law, construction law, wrongful death, insurance coverage, and first and third-party insurance litigation.
- Mr. Dutton has been an administrative hearing officer and been involved in insurance regulatory work on behalf of insurers and agents. He assisted in authoring attorney general opinions, regulatory bulletins, and has drafted amicus curiae briefs for the State of Kansas.
- As the managing attorney of the Kansas Healthcare Stabilization Fund, Mr. Dutton managed hundreds of medical malpractice lawsuits and defended Kansas healthcare providers on medical malpractice claims for excess coverage.
- Mr. Dutton is an author and editor of nationally-distributed manuals on Kansas no fault and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
- Over the years, Mr. Dutton has authored numerous articles and made many CLE and other presentations on insurance, litigation, and trial-related issues to local and statewide organizations.
CONTACT MICHAEL DUTTON